One Year Ago
One year ago this morning I awoke like most mornings for the past seven months; still tired and pregnant. When I hauled myself out of bed around 8:00 am and walked to the bathroom, something happened that I never expected...my water broke. I was a little under eight weeks from my due date. It was not a gush like one would expect, more like a slow steady leaking faucet, but I knew exactly what was happening. The immediate panic and adrenaline that took over in me is a feeling I had never experienced and will never forget. My first call was to my husband whom I told, "You have to come home right NOW! My water broke!" The second call was to my parents whom I told, "You have to come get Colby right NOW, I'm going to the hospital, my water broke!" The third call I made was to the Dr.'s office. She calmly said, "Well just come on in and we'll check you over and make sure that everything is okay." My parents arrived first. My Dad gathered Colby, his crate, food, and leash and my Mom helped me pack a bag. I have no idea what I told her to put in the bag and no idea where she even found a bag, but I ended up with one. Ira arrived home and quickly he drove me to the hospital. Well not quickly, because it was approximately 8:30 am and still morning rush hour. It actually was the longest car ride ever! When we arrived at the hospital, I was examined and they determined that indeed my water had broke. They admitted me to the hospital and thus began the journey to the birth of our son.
If I had a DeLorean, some Plutonium and a wacky science professor, I would go back to that day in a heartbeat. I would hug that terrified pregnant me and tell her that I knew for certain that everything was going to turn out just fine. That all 11 days and sleepless nights, tears and worry...all the tests, iv's, steroid shots, visits from every kind of Dr. imaginable, all the "what if" scenarios would result in the birth of a beautiful, healthy, 5lb 7oz baby boy - that she would end up being stronger than she ever thought possible - that everything she went through would be worth it, the instant she saw that little boy's face - and today, one year later, she is sending out the invitations to her son's first birthday party.
If I had a DeLorean, some Plutonium and a wacky science professor, I would go back to that day in a heartbeat. I would hug that terrified pregnant me and tell her that I knew for certain that everything was going to turn out just fine. That all 11 days and sleepless nights, tears and worry...all the tests, iv's, steroid shots, visits from every kind of Dr. imaginable, all the "what if" scenarios would result in the birth of a beautiful, healthy, 5lb 7oz baby boy - that she would end up being stronger than she ever thought possible - that everything she went through would be worth it, the instant she saw that little boy's face - and today, one year later, she is sending out the invitations to her son's first birthday party.
We hope that all of you can help us celebrate an amazing, unforgettable year!



2 Comments:
He IS great, and I'm so happy that we've been able to go through everything this past year together, with each other to rely on!
I love you both!
Your invitations are ADORABLE!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home